Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Elizabeth Wong

I was searching for Elizabeth Wong on the web, and no, I wasn’t attempting to get hold of pictures of her in the nude. Although, to think about it, I wouldn’t have minded reviewing some of them to see what the fuss is all about… :) Anyway I digress and i jest! Somehow I stumbled upon her blog and read through her latest press statement pertaining her resignation etc…

I found something profoundly perplexing. On the one hand she says:

“I have done nothing wrong. I wish to state that I am not ashamed of my sexuality as a woman and as a single person. I have broken no law. I stand by the fundamental principle in a democracy that everyone has a right to privacy.”

And on the other hand she tenders her resignation, as if she is agreeing that she has done something awfully wrong! I am in no position to judge, and indeed I am not judging, especially since I don’t know the content of the pictures. It could be something totally immoral, or it could be something perfectly usual. I don’t know and I don’t want to know.

The way I see it, there are only 3 reasons why she would resign:

Reason One:
The pictures revealed an immoral side of hers that no one ever knew about. IF that is the case, then indeed she should resign given that she is a public figure!

Reason Two:
A top down pressure from the leaders of PKR insisting that she resigns in order to avoid further damage to the party. IF this is the actual reason, then she shouldn’t have resigned especially since she is convinced that she has done nothing wrong! Resigning would only mean that she is acceding to an instruction that is against her personal conviction. She should instead be resigning from the party, and not from the responsibilities entrusted upon her by the voters.

Reason Three:
To regain lost privacy! I would probably not understand this as much as I hope to, given that I have never experienced an undoubtedly life-changing episode such as this. But from the outside looking in, I don’t think resignation would do much good. Whats done is done, and isolating yourself from the eyes of the public will not undo it, and neither heals the scar. Only time heals. How long can you be a media recluse ? Chua Soi Lek is a living proof. Resigned once and now crawling back into politics. So why not just hold your head up high, and weather the storm in these trying times and hopefully everything will wither away with time. You are getting the support from almost everyone, the BNs included! You should be proud to be the uniting factor, and what I gather from the various blogs that I have read, you are a respectable leader. So continue doing what you do best!

Now that all the above is said, I am in no way insinuating that I condone the acts of the perpetrator! Invading the privacy of others is one thing, but to publicly humiliate and demean someone is completely unacceptable no matter how much of a devil she may be. Not that I am saying that she is a devil, but you know what I mean. It is absolutely amazing how inhumanely childish people can be just to seek, what I can only speculate to be, some demented form of vengeance. How can you horribly degrade someone after sharing something so intimate is just beyond my understanding? This is not immoral…this is amoral.

No comments:

Post a Comment